Friday, April 08, 2005

no humping while i am meowing

Learned two practical life lessons in the past weeks.

The weekend before, I was out of town on work related mater. When I got back, I found my lil’bro in a frenzy of excitement, I was curious to know what he was on so I asked the folks at home what got him going. The story is, over the weekend a cat had taken a refuge in the vines and gave birth to five kittens. Unlike my bro, I hid my excitement and went on with my business.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/146/4253/400/DSC00891.jpg">

Over the next week, I snuck out when ever I am home to take a glimpse of the kitten colony, which got me pretty attached to them as I witnessed their progress from furless to fur-ball stage. The mother being a stray cat, she was busy getting knocked up again - she only comes in to feed them once or twice a day. On Sunday however, I was taking the usual sneak peak when she showed up. I guess the bitch got jealous, she took each of them away one by one and there was nothing I could do about it. Now I know how it feels when a woman walks out on her man taking the kids with her.

The other lesson is on tragedy and comedy; it happened this past Saturday at a classical concert held by the German embassy. Concerts in Addis (any kind) don’t happen too often, so I purchased my ticket way ahead thinking it would be a good idea to psudo-satisfy my hankering for live music. The concert being a special event (to commemorate their attempt to take over the world 50years ago, just KD) all sorts of high ranking officials, including the German ambassador and the mayor for Addis were there and had to yak about how the Germans are so cool with their classical music and we are not.

The German ambassador who is a lady and what a lady, about 6’5”, made a very long speech in German which came up to a quarter of the time when it got translated to Amharic. As she was leaving the podium, instead of going to the back where the stairs were, she took a short cut to the side and took a mighty plunge. The whole crowd sighed at the incident and there were all sorts of commotion for a few seconds, of course all in German. Before I knew it, she was up waving at the crowd and silence turned in to laughter. I dunno if she did it on purpose to add some comedy to her long ass boring speech but it sure would have been a tragedy if she had hurt her self process. I guess the other lesson is, German goods are very strong so always buy German.

Oh….about the concert, it was very intellectually stimulating so I won’t use words like wicked, kick ass, or rocking to describe it. Let’s just say it was splendid but it was no MMJ or morrisey or the walkmen…. For the curious in mind, check out an Ethiopian composer called Ashenafi Kebede, I my self wasn’t aware of his name till the weekend but one of his compositions called “the shepherd’s flute” is a soundtrack to my childhood.

1 Comments:

Blogger trotts said...

May I remind you that only DL may enjoy classical music. I recommend you change your review to better reflect your barbaric tastes.

-D Trott in the T Dot

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home