Thursday, May 25, 2006

The “not so” Great Firewall of Ethiopia (or is it?)

Meles and Co. controlled ETC is acting like a 10year old who just learned how to use magnifying glass to torture bugs.There are rumors that the Chinese are involved in this censorship fiasco, which I highly doubt. To my knowledge, the Chinese are the best in the business. The Great Fire Wall of China, although not perfect, it the biggest attempt to filter web content in a country with the second largest internet access. To say china is involved in this half-arsed censorship (see comments on previous post) is an insult. Computer savvy friends tell me “the ethionet server can be hacked with a pocket calculator”.

Reporters with out Borders have asked for an explanation from the government. heh! I will give my first born if they get a straight answer.

In any case, now that it’s official that bloggers (and now chatters) have been added to EPRDF’s long list of “enemies of the constitution”, what’s to stop them from rounding us up (of course, those of us blogging form mother land)? What are the chances that the fact I can post this entry with out a problem but can’t read blogger blogs is a trap? Perhaps now is a good time to skim through RSF’s Handbook for bloggers and cyber descendents. if it’s too late for that, like me - i used my gut instincts when I started blogging not to mention being political or irreverent to tyrants wasn’t my reason - It’s time to start pondering plan B.

  1. Always keep a large towel and flip-flops nearby;
  2. Practice how to take beating;
  3. Familiarize your self with the rules of ‘Yeshama’; and
  4. Send a nice photo to Ethan Zuckerman to make a badge that reads ‘Free so-and-so…’

Am I scared? a lil’bit. I have had a run-in with their goons before and it wasn’t what you would call an enchanting experience. but who would turn down a chance to chat with Birhanu Nega about his future plans for the City?

5 Comments:

Blogger Ethan Zuckerman said...

Sending me a photo is a good idea. Also, a few words of biography, and the preferred domain name you'd like me to register for you. Unfortunately, I've registered so many "free___.com" domain names this past year that I now get a very good discount.

6:43 AM  
Blogger ET Wonqette said...

eh...

I volunteer to make you one of those cool ribbons... what's your favorite color?

You know, you put those of us in the Diaspora to shame. We need guidance from you on how to be 'Prophets of change.' How can we help?

You are amazing.

//s

12:08 PM  
Blogger EthiopianPolitics said...

Its been over 20 days since your last post - we're kinda worried man....

- Praying to the blog gods

6:58 PM  
Blogger EL SENSEI said...

THANKS FOR YOUR BLOG! IT REALLY GAVE ME ALL THE INFO I WAS TRYING TO GET... I'LL COME BACK!!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Pablo (yo) said...

Great blog!!!!
If you like, come back and visit mine: http://albumdeestampillas.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Pablo from Argentina

10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home